It was in the era of the Hasmoneans (the second to first centuries B.C.E.) that the Menorah
(the seven branch candelabrum) first served as a national symbol, and upon the foundation of
the State of Israel, it was chosen as its emblem, to symbolize the continuity and eternity of
the Jewish People.
The Menorah, which stands in the area in front of the Knesset gates, was designed by the
Jewish English sculptor Benno Elkan, and was donated to the Knesset by the members of the
British Parliament on 15 April, 1956. The subjects depicted on its reliefs are drawn from
the Jewish tradition.
The Menorah - a close look